Wednesday, November 21, 2012

WIAW #53

Happy Wednesday everyone.  If you haven't already head over to Jenn's blog to check out what all the other bloggers have been eating lately.

Peas and Crayons

I am definitely ready to start decorating for Christmas. There is such a long break between Halloween and Christmas that it is hard to fill the gap.  Fortunately, I have been so busy with Uni work that I haven't had to much time to dwell on it.  The weather has been around 10 degrees so it actually feels really warm for this time of year; but I am not complaining, it means I can still wear shorts when i run :)  I am planning on doing some baking soon.  So far there are just two items on my list: apple cake and molasses cookies.

Open faced sandwich

Tomatoes from my vegetable box, sprouted bread, avocado, smoked salmon



This was my take on a salad Nicoise 

Soft Boiled Egg


Smoked salmon, potatoes, and broccoli

This is my favoutite take on the classic Korean dish Bimbap

I absolutely love to make this because it has so many different layers, textures, and flavours.

This particular version has matchstick carrot pieces with edamame and sesame seeds sauteed in some soy sauce.

Two poached eggs

Tofu blocks marinated in ginger, garlic, and soy and then quickly cooked on both sides.

And finally, a mix of quinoa with amaranth and chia seeds with some crumbled seaweed.

It. Is. So. Good.  Try it.


Finally, this is a little snapshot of my homemade ricotta.  It was pretty decent for a first attempt and I am looking forward to experimenting more with making ricotta (and possibly other cheeses) over the holidays.  In this batch I simply took some milk, heated it on the stove until it was ALMOST boiling.  I turned off the heat and added some vinegar (unfortunately all I had was white balsamic which made the flavour a little strange).  I slowly mixed it and stopped when it curdled.  I left it for 5 minutes and then poured it into a bowl with a sieve and some coffee filters (I don't have cheese cloth).  I let it sit for about twenty minutes and then enjoyed it with some almonds, pear, and manuka honey.  Like I said next time I might try a different acid like lemon juice or a more neutral vinegar.

Any ideas of what else I should bake for the coming Christmas season?

Any tips/tricks on making homemade ricotta?

1 comment:

  1. Loving the egg love! Yolks <3
    I have no tips for ricotta, sorry. It's yummy though so good luck!

    ReplyDelete